Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 2014 18:53:56 +0900
From:      Tomoaki AOKI <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-users-jp@freebsd.org
Subject:   [FreeBSD-users-jp 95249] Re: TESTING required: keyboard maps for NEWCONS (committed to -CURRENT and available for -STABLE)

Thanks for your work, Stefan!

Please consider modifying scan code 125 in jp.kbd and jp.capsctrl.kbd.
Changing '\' to 165 (unicode XML entity &#165; is YEN SIGN) matches
major keyboards in Japan (would be OADG 109A or its variants) with
unicode locales.

Please see below for key layouts.

  http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/JIS%E3%82%AD%E3%83%BC%E3%83%9C%E3%83%BC%E3%83%89

This page is in Japanese, but figures here would be useful.

*Historical background:
 For historical reason, starting from JIS X 0201, code point 0x5C is
 used for YEN SIGN (currency JPY) in Japan. This code point may be
 used for backslash in other countries. (So, YEN SIGN should not be
 supported in syscons.)

 But now in unicode, YEN SIGN has its own code point, and safely
 coexists with backslash.

 So, enabling both in vt would be nice. And particularly for users
 having both FreeBSD and Windoze, matching keytop and displayed
 character should be important to avoid confusion.

CC'ed to freebsd-users-jp list for other Japanese users.
Any objections? Possibly, someone would want modifying scan code 115
instead of 125.