Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 15:47:19 +0200
From:      "ak@freenet.co.uk" <ak@freenet.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   How stable is VMWare under FreeBSD?

The subject says it all really - most of the development in my company
is for Windows (NT/9x), and I'm really tired of having to reboot my
machine every couple of hours of intensive debugging, so I was thinking
of using VMWare for Linux under FreeBSD, since it's much easier to pull
the plug on a virtual box.   However, I need to be certain that VMWare
can cope with everything I want to do under Windows - in particular,
compile and debug programs that use lots of virtual memory (I'm going to
give VMWare 128Mb of RAM, but Windows might have to swap intensively).
So all in all, is it reasonable to expect to be able to run Visual C++
and develop/debug large applications in a WinNT VMWare session without
affecting the stability and responsiveness of the FreeBSD box (which I
hope to use for other things as well)?   I would also need to mount
FreeBSD Samba shares from VMWare in order to exchange and back up data
(assuming it's possible).   I have a PIII-550, 256Mb RAM - what
performance can I expect out of VMWare (w/128Mb RAM)?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Alex Keahan