Date:      Fri, 05 Jan 2001 00:22:53 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Graham Wheeler <gram@cequrux.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Just how standard is APM?

> Mike Smith wrote:
> >
> > How new is this laptop?  It may be ACPI-only.
>
> I believe it is quite new ("designed for Windows Me").

It's probably ACPI-only; welcome to FreeBSD-current. 8)

> I have to admit my ignorance - I've never heard of ACPI.

ACPI is the successor to APM, as well as trying to tie up a lot of loose
ends in other parts of the system.  We're working on support for it (with
a boatload of help from Intel), but it's not quite there yet.

Don't ask about backporting.  Please. 8)