Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 2004 00:06:35 +0100
From:      "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Rework of firewall chapter start

--JYK4vJDZwFMowpUq

On 2004.12.16 11:50:15 +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:

> I've always understood a firewall to be a combination of one or more
> technologies, implemented in a manner that provides security.
>=20
> For example, a corporate firewall might consist of a packet filter, a
> mail scanning system, and an HTTP proxy.
>=20
> What the chapter (and the patch) are talking about so far is (just) a
> packet filter.  Now a packet filter can, on its own, be the only
> technology used to implement a firewall.  But to my mind the distinction
> is still important.

Yes, I agree that the distinction between packet/network-level
firewalls and proxy/application-level firewalls is important and
should be explained.

I did think about writing something about the topic, but I didn't
simply because I want to take one thing at the time.

If somebody else feel like writing about this please speak up so we
avoid duplicate work.

> Of course this could just be me being an old fart...

I don't think so :-).

--=20
Simon L. Nielsen

--JYK4vJDZwFMowpUq