Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 02:46:11 -0500
From:      "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "Nils Holland" <nils@daemon.tisys.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: The road ahead?

From: "Nils Holland" <nils@daemon.tisys.org>
To: "Terry Lambert" <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc: <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 2:10 AM

> On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 10:58:35PM -0700, Terry Lambert stood up and
spoke:
> > > In a market where everyone is falling over each other to bring out
WAP,
> > > why don't good features ever show up?
> >
> > Ah, an easy one!
> >
> > Because the idiots behind WAP look at it as a means of pushing
> > content at you, the same way they look at the Internet as a
> > means of pushing content at you, rather than as a person-to-person
> > communications medium.
>
> We have another two things that should be mentioned here:

<snip the first, though it was good...great thinkers 'round here
these days, sure beats "which is better MS or FBSD?">

> Another thing I'd like to mention is that I guess the Internet is
> successful because it's free. As such, I remember that a while ago all the
> world seemed to swap music via Napster. Then Napster was closed down, and
> started to come back, using the Internet to seel online music for money. I
> find this idea a little strange, as I don't think Napster was successfull
> because it made music available via the Internet, but because this music
> was *free*. On the other hand, if people now had to pay in order to
> download music from the 'Net, they might as well buy the CD. In addition,
> if we'd turn the concept around, i.e. selling Napster music for mony and
> making CDs available for free, everything would be reversed, so that
> everyone would get the CDs. This seems to prove that the popular thing
> about Napster was *not* that it "worked over the Internet", but that the
> music it provides was free.

It *was* cool to see what real people were doing with their computers in
their spare time.  The rush to make big $$ turned the Internet into the
focal point of many company strategies and so now we have a worldwide
community with big factories, good-sized organizations, and small home
(pages.)  The 'Net has become like us, 'cause we made it.

> As such, I don't think business plans that want to make money from the
> Internet could be very successful. Only imagine if you'd have to pay a
> monthly fee for every (commercial site) you visit, or for every document
> you download at such a site. I guess that would highly decrease the
> popularity of the web, yet I guess there are at least some commercial
> content providers that would like to charge you money for accessing their
> stuff...

Many, many of them. Read the following regarding .NET

"Strategy: Blueprint shrouded in mystery"  By: Mike Ricciuti
Staff Writer, CNET News.com October 18, 2001, 4:00 a.m. PT
read it at:  http://news.com.com/2009-1001-274344.html?legacy=cnet

<snip>

"This whole thing is driven by the fact that Microsoft has
hundreds of millions of Windows users out there, but
Microsoft doesn't have a direct monthly billing relationship
with those users," said Matt Rosoff, an analyst at
Directions on Microsoft. "That's their consumer strategy,
in a nutshell."

<snip>

> Greetings
> Nils