Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 2002 11:48:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
To:        keramida@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/38850: handbook/kernelopts/ should be in Developer's Handbook tree not in Handbook one

> > handbook/kernelopts/ has nothing to do in Handbook tree, it should
> > be in the Developer's Handbook and/or removed.
>
> I'm not really sure.  It is definitely something that is aimed towards
> advanced users, and newcomers to FreeBSD might find it all confusing,
> and strange, at first.  However, having a section like that to pair
> the kernel compiling parts of the Handbook, is probably a good idea
> too.  What do you others think?

I just read it and it looks like it is talking about a new way that kernel
builds are going to be organized.  I'm not sure the new method will even
be noticable to people who aren't mucking with kernel internals.

Add to that this chapter is not referrenced, as far as I can tell, by
anything else in the handbook (i.e. not reachable from the TOC).  I
like C, maybe I love C, but anything that talks about how config files
are translated into pre-processor macros, just is not something I want
my friends exposed to unnecessarily.

-r