Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 1997 01:21:51 -0500
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>, asami@cs.berkeley.edu, dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, grog@lemis.com, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

On Thu, Dec 04, 1997 at 03:33:52AM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Perhaps I overstated the issue, I get up times of many weeks on my dual P6
> > here that is used as a development system.  Obviously many others are also
> > using SMP for real work.  But the efficiency just isn't there yet.  We
> > would bench very poorly against a good SMP system, and thats what needs
> > improvement b4 we go prime-time with SMP.
>
> Luckily we only have to compete against Solaris and UnixWare, and not
> good SMP systems... Dynix doesn't run on commodity hardware, and
> neither does Unisys's SVR4.0.2 ES/MP (which did the locking the right
> way instead of the Solaris/SVR4 way).  And SMP SunOS 4.1.3 isn't
> widely sold, and where it is, it's mostly Japan and Bay Area ISP's,
> and then only on SPARC hardware...

Out of curiosity, has anyone tested Linux on an Intel SMP system?
How far along are they? I was going to buy a dual processor system
myself to play with this stuff, but I've decided to hold off and wait
for the Alphas to drop in price just a little instead (after the
Pentium F00F bug, I really want to try a non-intel system..).

Also, could someone summarize the current problems with SMP and NFS?
Or are they "unknown" at this point in the game? I might be able
to talk Rick Macklem into lending a hand. He's been hinting that he
might try some SMP stuff soon, if there is a problem with SMP and NFS
I might be able to convince him that it's crucial to his NFS code  :-)
Of course, he'd have to stop using his microVAX for a while....

-Mark

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org
> ---
> or previous employers.

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark

	 finger mark@vmunix.com for my PGP key and GCS code
Win95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to
an an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.  -UGU