Date:      Mon, 4 May 2015 22:55:25 -0500
From:      Jim Thompson <jim@netgate.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba@yahoo.com>, "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
Subject:   Re: netmap-ipfw on em0 em1

> On May 4, 2015, at 10:07 PM, Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org> =
wrote:
>=20
> Jim, and Barney. I hate to sound like a broken record, but we really =
need interested people in the network stack.
> The people who make the decisions about this are the people who stand =
up and say "I have a  few hours I can spend on this".
> If you were to do so too, then really, all these issues could be =
worked on. get in there and help rather than standing on the bleachers =
and offering advise.
>=20
> There is no person working against you here.
>=20
> =46rom my counting the current active networking crew is about 10 =
people. with another 10 doing drivers.
> You would have a lot of sway in a group that small. but you have th be =
in it first, and the way to do that is to simple start doing stuff.  =
no-one was ever sent an invitation. They just turned up.

I am (and we are) interested.  I=E2=80=99m a bit short on time, and I =
have a project/product (pfSense) to maintain, so I keep other people =
busy on the stack.

Examples include:

We co-sponsored the AES-GCM work.  Unfortunately, the process stopped =
before the IPsec work to leverage this we did made it upstream.
As partial remedy, gnn is currently evaluating all the patches from =
pfSense for inclusion into the FreeBSD mainline.

I was involved in the work to replace the hash function used in pf.  =
This is (only) min 3% gain, more if you carry large state tables.

There was a paper presented at AsiaBSDcon, so at least we have a =
methodology to speak about performance increases.  (Is the methodology =
in the paper perfect?  No.  But at least it=E2=80=99s a stake in the =
ground.)

We=E2=80=99re currently working with Intel to bring support for =
QuickAssist to FreeBSD.  (Linux has it.)  While that=E2=80=99s not =
=E2=80=98networking=E2=80=99 per-se, the larger consumers for the =
technology
are various components in the stack.

The other flaws I pointed out are on the list of things for us to work =
on / fix.  Someone might get there first, but =E2=80=A6 that=E2=80=99s =
good.  I only care about getting things fixed.

Jim
p.s.  yes, I'm working on a commit bit.