Date:      Sun, 06 Jun 2004 16:12:09 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        Stephen Liu <satimis@yahoo.com>, ctm-users@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: First time running CTM

Hi Stephen,

Did anyone else reply?

CTM is a good way to keep up to date, but cvsup is also a good way.  I think
that the documentation for ctm is not that great, and so you may find cvsup an
easier way to go.  I would use ctm only if you have some specific reason to do
so (i.e. you are behind a corperate firewall).

But I could answer some of your questions.

Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> FreeBSD 5.2 Release
>
> ctm is completely new to me.  I found it already
> installed on my PC
>
> # whereis ctm
> ctm: /usr/sbin/ctm /usr/share/man/man1/ctm.1.gz
> /usr/src/usr.sbin/ctm
>
> I am trying to configure it.  I read A.4 Using CTM
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.IS...ndbook/ctm.html
>
> but I am still not very clear.

Yes.  The docs are not that clear.

> Hereinunder are my questions
> 1)
> Using CTM for the First Time
> I haven't had a -RELEASE CD. Where can I download the
> 'starter delta'. My PC is connected to 3MB broadband.

The docs are somewhat deceptive on this issue.  You don't want to use anything
off a release CD.  You can get all the starter deltas from most any ftp site,
e.g. ftp.vmunix.org - they are in with all the regular deltas.

> 2)
> Using CTM in Daily Life
>
> # df
> Filesystem  1K-blocks    Used    Avail Capacity
> Mounted on
> /dev/ad4s1a    253678   45854   187530    20%    /
> devfs               1       1        0   100%    /dev
> /dev/ad4s1e    253678    4812   228572     2%    /tmp
> /dev/ad4s1f  36354884 4975506 28470988    15%    /usr
> /dev/ad4s1d    253678   59724   173660    26%    /var
>
> Can I establish 'Empty' to /usr/ where has plenty
> space???

You can put it anywhere you like.

> # mkdir -P /usr/home/ctm/curent_delta
> # cd /usr/home/ctm/curent_delta
> # ctm -v -v
> /path/to/starter_delta/download/folder/src-xxx.*
> (why it needs double '-v' here ???)

You don't need any '-v'.

> 3)
> After step 2) above, now I have the lastest port tree.
>  I then subscribe a CTM distribution list. What shall
> I do next?

See if cvsup is better for your needs.  If not, try to figure out what you can -
we can try to answer questions as they come up.

> Would the ports tree automatically updated whenever I
> start the PC?

No.