Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 2014 14:19:58 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        "freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org Arch" <arch@freebsd.org>, NGie Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: boot man pages installed four times..

On Monday, October 27, 2014 8:25:20 pm NGie Cooper wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 4:14 PM, John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com> wrote:
> > So, our loader man pages are currently installed four different times
> > during installworld...  Once each durning sys/boot/userboot/userboot,
> > sys/boot/amd64/efi, sys/boot/i386/loader and sys/boot/i386/zfsloader
> >
> > This is because sys/boot/common/Makefile.inc defines the man pages, and
> > each of these locations include that Makefile...
> >
> > It seems like the logical thing to do is to create a sys/boot/man that
> > only installed man pages...  This will partly move us to always
> > installing all man pages on all archs...
>
> Should this manpages just be installed as part of
> share/man/man<section> instead?

Ugh, no.  We should keep manpages out of there when possible.  E.g. all the
pthread manpages should move next to libthr (now that we only have one thread
library).  I would also like to eventually move kernel manpages into sys
(perhaps sys/man, though it would be really nice to put driver manpages into
sys/dev/foo if possible).

--
John Baldwin