Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2018 12:50:49 -0700
From:      Conrad Meyer <cem@freebsd.org>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PRs are being closed for bogus reasons :-(

Hi Ian,

On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 11:40 AM, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2018-06-01 at 11:23 -0700, Conrad Meyer wrote:
>> So my modified proposal is:
>>
>> 1. Create an announce-only bugs list that only receives new ports.

Sorry, typo: that should be "new reports."

> Do you envision people being able to comment/reply/post to the list in
> general?

Nope.  I think it should be Just New Bugs to keep noise down.  The
idea is to get the summary and description in front of eyeballs, and
no follow-up notification unless you explicitly CC yourself.  This is
basically the model I use today, except I had to set up explicit email
filters to get it from the existing list, and that's a totally
unnecessary burden to put on everyone.

As Ben Kaduk says, discussion can and should happen in Bugzilla.

> What I'm curious about is the level of non-announce mail
> that's going to be on the list. If it turns into general chit-chat
> about the bugs that are announced, the noise level goes way way up.
> Also, that would encourage discussion related to the bugs which should
> probably happen in bugzilla comments rather than out-of-band mail.

Totally agree.  It's most useful announce-only.

> Hmm, something that could reduce the traffic even more would be to send
> out a once-daily mail summarizing the short description lines of all
> bugs entered in the past 24 hours. Maybe that could be done and sent to
> a few appropriate existing lists (one or more of stable@, current@,
> ports@, etc, depending on the metadata in the PRs).

I prefer the other model, but I believe mailman can accommodate this
mode simultaneously with a single list =E2=80=94 I think users can configur=
ed
it to do this on a individual user basis.

Conrad