Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 13:20:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Lee Crites (AEI)" <leec@adam.adonai.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux faster thasn FreeBSD

=>Hmmmmm.  I FEEL that this report is somehow insubstantial, so much so
=>that I think I'll just leave my comment at that. :-)
=>
=>					Jordan

Your sense of humor just kills me sometimes!  (I assume you were
being funny, at least).

I have the unfortunate circumstance of having to work on a client
site which is using linux on the pc's.  From time to time I think
that the response I'm getting from the machine I am working on
feels a little crisper than my FreeBSD box (2.2.1).

But then I have the reality check set in...

This linux box I am currently using is nothing more than an
x-server managing my windows showing what other machines are
doing.  For a 32meg p200 it's not doing too badly.

My FreeBSD box, on the other hand, is

* running several email lists,

* getting about 1,000 web hits a day, (including java and cgi
stuff),

* mirroring my various client development environments several
times a day, (which includes an RCS merge of newly mirrored
programs),

* running a prime number sieving program in the background (Hi,
Richard!!!),

* and even doing some bovine/rc5 stuff WAY in the background,

* plus acting as a web development environment for two users,

* and whatever else *I* might want to toss at it.

It's a 128meg p133 (originally configured to handle 12 NT users)
box.

My response time is never bad, even with all of that happening.
In fact it's at least as good as the linux box just running x.

When I started running a bovine/rc5 process on this (the linux)
box, I noticed a real response change.  Not a bad one, mind you,
but enough for me to easily notice.

As for me and my house, we will use FreeBSD for everything we
can!

Lee