Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 17:38:21 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
To:        steve@ns1.cioe.com (Steve Ames)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Backup Power?

> This is more than a little off topic, but here goes.
>
> My company operates a number of remote POPs and we want to upgrade
> our backup power. Our minimum target is 2 hours (would like to
> get closer to 8) and most POPs consist of 4-6 Adtran CSU, a Cisco
> 4000 and a couple of Ascend Max 4048.
>
> I've queried a couple of UPS manufacturers and they're going to quote
> me up something but I'm not sure UPSs are the way to go... anyone
> played with other options such as generators?
>
> 						-Steve

Speaking as someone who is running off of a generator now, they aren't as
bad as I thought. I'm able to run everything off of this 6kva generator I
rented localy. The power is clean enough to run everything, and I'm able to
go about 8 hours on 5 gallons of gas, powering 12 servers, two DSU's, two
routers, and two monitors.

However... You need something that'll carry everything for enough time to
get the generator to start, and something that can decide when the time is
right to shut the generator back off.

There are companies that make eternal power systems like that, but I can't
think of any names off the top of my head.

Kevin