Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2019 15:20:54 -0800
From:      "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@juniper.net>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <arch@FreeBSD.org>, <sjg@juniper.net>
Subject:   Re: Importing mksh in base

Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> I would like to import mksh in base, https://www.mirbsd.org/mksh.htm
> And make it the default root shell (not necessary in one step)

Is is "better" than pdksh?  I've used that since about '89
(bias alert I was maintainer for about 10 years)
never had problem with it - it's the ksh on netbsd fwiw.

emacs mode in pdksh is pretty good (again biased - I put a lot of work
into it).

I pinched the src from netbsd to build for freebsd (for junos ;-).
Is 400k figure below statically linked?

-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   217K Mar  5  2018 /bin/ksh

/packages/mnt/ksh32-cd051739/bin/ksh: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel
80386, version 1 (FreeBSD), dynamically linked, interpreter
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1, FreeBSD-style, for FreeBSD 11.0 (1100120), not
stripped

--sjg