Date:      Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:13:10 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        gnn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Special schedulers, one CPU only kernel, one only userland

On Wednesday 10 August 2005 10:10 pm, gnn@freebsd.org wrote:
> But, the question, which is interesting to me for other reasons
> (namely putting in various real-time schedulers) was not answered.  Do
> we currently have the requisite primitives to implement different
> schedulers or is there still a lot of jiggery/pokery required?

Yes, there is some room for different schedulers, but the idea of using a
master/slave SMP system is not ust a different scheduler, but an entirely
different SMP architecture.  That said, if you added one more sched_foo call
for synchronous kernel entry in trap() and syscall(), you probably could
provide a master/slave setup via a custom scheduler.  It would be more
optimal to also tweak the low-level routing of interrupts to CPUs on
architectures that support it as well, though that would not be required.