Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 16:46:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pkg_version

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Passki, Jonathan P wrote:

> When trying to upgrade complex applications like XFree86 w/ Enlightenment &
> Gnome, is there a sequence that should be followed on what applications are
> updated first to last?  Other than a Stop error, or while the package
> realizes a component is missing, and it retrieves it, I have no idea if
> there is a dependency issue I'm FUBARing, or if I'm screwing up a previously
> installed application.

    The best practice would be to build a dependency graph of
everything installed on your system, then uninstall in reverse
dependency order and reinstall the updated packages in dependency
order.

    This is very tedious.  I'm not sure that there's a tool out there
to do it, but /usr/ports/sysutils/pib looks like it might fit the
bill.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer