Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 19:05:37 -0800
From:      chip <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>, "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Installer (was "Re: ... RedHat ...")

Thanks alot. After reading all that I think I've had more than enough for=
 one=20
day (or two or three even). Maybe doing just for the fun of it - isn't. M=
aybe=20
someday, not real soon though, I'm sure. Just the little experience with =
XP=20
this week (at work) was enough to last a lifetime.=20
;-)
--
Chip

On Thursday 24 January 2002 07:32 am, Terry Lambert banged out on the key=
s:
> chip wrote:
> > On Wednesday 23 January 2002 11:57 pm, Terry Lambert banged out on th=
e=20
keys:
> [...]
> =09*WILL NOT* be able to recover with the recovery
> =09disk.
>
> 10a)=09If you find yourself in this position, you need to
> =09boot the recovery disk, and exit out to a DOS prompt;
> =09then at the DOS prompt, use the undocumented "/X"
> =09option on the FDISK program on the command line, and
> =09delete *ALL* the partitions, or the Windows XP
> =09recovery CDROM may not work! (vendor specific;
> =09that's "FDISK /X", if you weren't paying attention).
>
> 11)=09You *MUST* modify the boot partition properties
> =09*away* from the defaults that Boot Magic installs;
> =09if you do not do this, then the parition where the
> =09Boot Magic files operate *WILL NOT* be accessible to
> =09Windows XP!
>
> 12)=09Then, *AND ONLY THEN*, can you exit the Boot Magic
> =09setup and reboot.
>
> Time for another recap, giving explicit steps:
>
> vi)=09Install Boot Magic
> vii)=09Do a "properties" on the Windows XP boot menu entry
> viii)=09Check the "Override defaults" checkbox, and make the
> =09FAT32 partition visible to Windows XP.  IF YOU DO NOT
> =09DO THIS, YOU WILL HAVE TO REINSTALL WINDOWS XP.
> ix)=09You also *MUST* mark the Windows XP partition as the
> =09default or Boot Magic will select the FAT32 as default,
> =09and YOU WILL HAVE TO REINSTALL WINDOWS XP.
> x)=09If you want, delete the FAT32 partition out of the boot
> =09menu entirely, since it's not really bootable.
>
> 13)=09Reboot your system into Windows XP to verify that the
> =09installation is all happy.  If it's not, you made a
> =09mistake somewhere, and your will need to scratch the
> =09disk and restart the process.
>
> 14)=09Shutdown and boot from your FreeBSD CDROM; you are
> =09now ready to try installing FreeBSD.
>
> [ At this point, we note how dangerous it is to even try to
>   install FreeBSD at all, these days... 8-( ]
>
> [ Do your FreeBSD install thing ]
>
> 15)=09Boot Windows XP again, and add FreeBSD to the boot
> =09menu.
>
> 16)=09Use the "Properties" to override the default *again*
> =09and make the FAT32 and Windows XP partitions visible
> =09to FreeBSD, if you want to be able to mount them
> =09from FreeBSD at all.
>
> 17)=09Reboot again to test both Windows XP and FreeBSD
> =09booting.  If it works, you have dodged the bullet.
>
> Final recap:
>
> xi)=09Add FreeBSD to the boot menu
> xii)=09Make sure you override the visibility defaults, so
> =09FreeBSD can see the Windows XP and FAT32 disks; the
> =09FAT32 disk is useful for transferring data between
> =09the OSs.
>
> If you actually get this far without giving up, I have a
> couple of "FreeBSD Daemon" igon artworks for the Boot Magic
> menu I can give you.  8-).  Compared to the rest of the
> process, reverse engineering the icons so that they can be
> replaced was a breeze.
>

> Whee!  Isn't installing FreeBSD fun and simple for anyone
> who wants to set up a dual boot system so that they can

--=20
Windows 95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patc=
to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.