Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 1996 11:41:51 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de (Wolfram Schneider)
Cc:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Inferno for FreeBSD.

> >According to Wolfram Schneider:
> >> Why we use a ">" and not a space or tab? A ">" may destroy
> >> latex documents (see UNIX-HATERS handbook page 79-81).
> >There are several ways to handle it:
> >1. use "quoted-printable" as C-T-E: and =46 in place of "F",
>
> I vote for 1. It works for all mail clients and does not
> destroy the mail body.

It is not the MTA that screws this up.

The problem is purely in the mailbox storage interface.

The "From:" -> ">From:" conversion is a convenience for bad mailbox
storage formats for evil MUA's which expect to access the mail through
direct access to the mailbox, and then bogusly use the "From:" to demark
message boundries.

This is a nasty thing for them to do, since there is no exterior
encapsulation of the messages as independent objects onces they
are in the mailbox.

If the MUA *must* do this, then an MTA that delivers everything
into one huge file should change C-T-E:, as described above.  (Bleah!).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.