Date:      Thu, 18 May 2017 20:26:29 +1000
From:      andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com>
To:        Aaron <drizzt321@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS root on single SSD?

On Tue 2017-05-16 16:00:15 UTC-0700, Aaron (drizzt321@gmail.com) wrote:

> I think most modern SSDs have pretty good checks because of how they use
> MLC/TLC NAND and how it fails. The biggest thing I can think of is a
> controller/board failure, rather than suddenly having massive number of
> blocks fail. However, it is a point that without copies=2 (or more) while
> bit-rot/corruption would be detectable, it wouldn't be possible to
> re-construct the bad blocks.

Hmm, yes. How likely is a controller board failure, though? No more
likely than a HDD controller failure, I'd have thought.

> Side note, copies=2 resiliency test (
> http://jrs-s.net/2016/05/09/testing-copies-equals-n-resiliency/), rather
> interesting, although I probably won't be using it, at least not for an SSD.

Ah, this is something I was wanting to experiment with for a few years
but never got around to it. The only difference was I would've written
the file corruption program in Python! :-) Good stuff.

Regards
Andrew