Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 1995 17:01:13 -0500 (CDT)
From:      mikebo@tellabs.com (Mike Borowiec)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD v2.0.5: NFS to multi-homed server broken?

faulkner@mpd.tandem.com (Boyd Faulkner) wrote:
> mikebo@tellabs.com (Mike Borowiec) wrote:
> > I have found some anomolous NFS behaviour in FreeBSD 2.0.5R.
> >
> > Problem 1:
> > FreeBSD attempts to NFS mount a partition from a multi-homed server not
> > on the same ethernet, and the return route from the server to the FreeBSD
> > client is via another interface (with a different hostname and IP address).
> > If done manually, the mount command can be killed. If the mount is in the
> > /etc/fstab file, the machine hangs on startup and must be reset.
>
> Been there, done that.  You need the noconn option.  This way, when it comes
> back along a different route, there is not a connnection already in force.
> I think this is the -c option if you use mount_nfs directly.  Anyway,
> -o noconn solved the problem for me.

This may work if the portmapper reply port number is non-standard
( != 111/udp ), but having tried numerous combinations of conn, noconn
and mount_nfs -c, it appears to me that it does nothing when the
portmapper reply is from the proper host, but from a different IP address.

Does anyone else have any clue how this works in SunOS?
- Mike
Michael Borowiec        Network Operations      Tellabs Operations, Inc.
mikebo@TELLABS.COM                              1000 Remington Blvd. MS109
708-378-6007  FAX: 708-378-6714                 Bolingbrook, IL, USA 60440