Date:      Fri, 27 Dec 96 00:13:31 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <francisco@natserv.com>

On Thu, 26 Dec 1996 22:50:06 -0500 (EST), John Fieber wrote:
Moved to docs.
>For indexing purposes, the only benefit to breaking things up
>into chunks is fore convenient addition of new material without
>re-indexing everything from scratch (as is curretly done).  The
>size of the chunks depends entirely on the desired update
>frequency.  A month is too long.  Weekly or daily would be
>better.  Individual messages would be absurd.

I offered Jordan to work on this and have already started getting code
(got a red-black-tree source, but I think I will write my) and what I
was thinking was to have something that could be updated daily. I was
considering either by going directly to the messages once a day.
Another possibility  is to keep a pointer file of the archives so when
the program is run again it would continue from where it left off.

I have not started to think about it in detail, but I think I will
write up a plan for this weekend to get some feedback.

The next week an a half are going to be more busy than normal (parents
are visiting, I am moving, have two consulting jobs to finish, etc.) so
after that I will get busy with this project. At the mean time I am
going to start (slowly) with writing my own red-black-tree library to
use in this project (always looking for an excuse to play with C++) :-)