Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:15:36 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        gtsy@mail.ru
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slow things

> From: "Stroganov A. V." <gtsy@mail.ru>
> Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 16:13:46 +0400
> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
>
> Greetings!
>
> I'm using gnome 2.14.2 . Various actions (opening Gnome menu, draggin
> link in firefox or openning download dialog) in Gnome are causing 100%
> CPU usage (FreeBSD 6.1 for amd64) for a few seconds. Is it fixable? I
> didn't have such problems on 2.12.

I see the same problems. If I click on a gweather applet and select
"Preferences", the CPU goes to 100% for 16 seconds before the window
appears on my 1 GHz PIII system. On my P-M system at 2 GHz, it "only"
takes five seconds of saturated CPU.

With Firefox, downloading a file can be so painful that I usually copy
the link into a fetch command. It simply seems to totally bog down when
I download multiple files.

I have already completely re-build Gnome 2.14 (and all ports).

While the delays are livable for me, I can't help thinking that
something is wrong.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)