Date:      Tue, 1 Dec 1998 10:36:52 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        garman@earthling.net
Cc:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'junk pointer' with inetd ...

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998 garman@earthling.net wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker writes:
> >
> > 384Meg, and
> >
> > hub# pstat -s
> > Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
> > /dev/da0s1b    262144    13780   248236     5%    Interleaved
> > /dev/da3s1b    262144    14236   247780     5%    Interleaved
> > /dev/da4s1b    262144    14912   247104     6%    Interleaved
> > Total          786048    42928   743120     5%
> >
> another thing to check is your dmesg; see if there's any "suggest more
> swap space" messages in there.  these messages seem to precede the dying
> daemons on my box at least. (it at least makes the problem much worse in
> my case)
>
> and to those who believe that this bug is only caused when one is "near
> swap capacity" -- the swapinfo above would refute that :)
>
> theres several threads about this -- check the archives.  it looks like a
> kernel bug where process memory gets zeroed when it forks a copy of
> itself.  I see it not only in inetd, but samba, junkbuster, sshd, etc etc
> etc.  look for large numbers of segfaulting daemons in your logs :)

Unsure of when it started, but dmesg just gives line after line of:

pid 7913 (httpd), uid 65534: exited on signal 11
pid 7912 (httpd), uid 65534: exited on signal 11
pid 7910 (httpd), uid 65534: exited on signal 11
pid 7906 (httpd), uid 65534: exited on signal 11

Not thinking it was related until ppl brought up the 'daemon dying'
thread, I didn't mention it previously, but I killed off httpd and
restarted it, which stop'd the scrolling messages...but has not stop'd
thee 'junk pointer' messages...

I dread having to reboot it, but its looking like I may just have to do
that ;(

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org