Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 2001 00:21:58 -0600 (CST)
From:      scotty@klement.dstorm.net
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum safe to use for raid 0?

I've been using vinum to mirror some 20gb UDMA66 IDE drives for about 8
months now.   I've even had a drive failure in that time  (my 2nd western
digital 20gb drive to die within a year -- I bought a Seagate this time!)

When I bought my seagate drive as a replacement, the size of the drive was
slightly smaller, and I had to figure out how to reduce the size of the
plex without losing the data.  (making the new drive a standard UFS drive,
copy the data to it, delete/create the old drive with a smaller plex, copy
the data back, make the plex on the new drive, and make the drives sync
up)

I have to say:

1) vinum is a life saver.
2) once you're able to keep all the terminology straight in your head,
       vinum is a very powerful tool.
3) vinum has been very stable for me. (no failures)
4) it has greatly increased read performance when the system is under load

I don't know if my input is helpful, since I'm not doing striping at all,
but I thought I'd give my 2 cents. :)