Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 00:00:10 -0400
From:      Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>
To:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: The desktop apathy

Sometimes I don't really see the point of this.  Maybe my experience with
Windows has been exceptional, but it works well enough on the desktop.  The
broad, easy availability of applications and the hardware compatibility
can't be beat.  Throw in a good X Server, and even the UNIX applications
are just a telnet away.

But did anyone out there really there start dabbling with UNIX (and FreeBSD
in particular) because he needed a better desktop?  If so, I'd be surprised
to hear about it.  Too often, the quest for the desktop seems to be
motivated by "stickin' it to Microsoft where it hurts" and "they got it, so
we need to take it from 'em."  And with the .NET initiative, even Microsoft
has conceded that the desktop is not where the revenue/control of the
future lies.

FreeBSD certainly has its strengths, but so does Windows.  I don't really
see why they can't co-exist.  They do on my desktop, and I'm pretty pleased
with the end result.

--Chip Morton