Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2012 17:23:19 -0500
From:      Zhihao Yuan <lichray@gmail.com>
To:        Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: My explanation to "a default DE" (was "Providing a default graphical environment on FreeBSD")

On Sep 17, 2012 4:04 PM, "Guido Falsi" <mad@madpilot.net> wrote:

> On 09/17/12 21:13, Zhihao Yuan wrote:
>>
>> 1. Maximize graphical user experience by officially implementing Wifi
>> helpers, auto-mounters;
>

> A good automounter definitely does not need a GUI.
> =E2=80=A6
> BTW for this case too there is a whole set of problems due to
authorizations. various other OSes have solved this in many ways, most
common solution used to be to just make every user "root"(or whatever the
other OS calls it ;)

So, my opinion is, we need to standardize both, or we can't provide a
modern graphical user experience.

> Also, you should also have a look at net-mgmt/wifimgr if you really can't
do without a mouse.

As u can see, it's a stand alone app. But the most widely used wifi
managers are always taskbar applets -- something bound to a specific DE. --
we must standardize a ${DE}!

--
Zhihao Yuan