Date:      Sun, 05 Jan 2003 07:39:06 -0500
From:      Gary Stanley <gary@outloud.org>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        Gary Stanley <gary@outloud.org>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Segate or Maxtor?

We've changed suppliers 2 times. The first suppler had a "decent" round of
drives . 20 percent of the drives we bought (we would buy, up to 10 at a
time) would be bad. We
decided to switch suppliers because it took, too long to get replacement
drives in.

Now, our new "Supplier" .. it's a different story. 50 percent DDFR (Disk
Drive Failure Rate) . 6 of the same Seagate 180GB Ultra320 drives. 3 of
those were bad. Seems we had better luck with the 70G drives, AND the
original supplier.