Date:      Mon, 02 Nov 1998 20:48:03 +0900
From:      Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh <itojun@itojun.org>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        obrien@NUXI.com, Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPv6 in -current

>>	If it is packaging issues, I would like to state the following for
>>	KAME 2.2.7 kit:
>>	- we intentionally NOT overwriting existing tools,
>>	  like /usr/bin/ftp.  This surprises people too much, especially
>>	  in multiuser installations.
>>	- we are trying NOT to require "make World" for installation.
>>	  therefore, we do not use /usr/src tree for this.
>>	It can be changed for KAME 3.0, of course.
>   I actually would like to see a more thorough integration with the standard
>tools being able to deal with both IPv4 and IPv6 simultaneously. It probably
>makes sense to hold off on doing that work until KAME becomes a standard part
>of the system, however - doing so now would make it a lot more difficult to
>track FreeBSD-current.

	Actually *ALL* the KAME userland tools are dual stack ready.
	KAME userland tools are installed into, say, /usr/local/v6/bin/ftp,
	You can perform BOTH IPv4/v6 imply adding search path to
	/usr/local/v6/{bin,sbin,whatever}.
		ftp host.v4.freebsd.org		makes IPv4 ftp,
		ftp host.v4.freebsd.org		makes IPv6 ftp.
	If our document is silent about this, we'll add more comments into
	documents.

	(We feared to surprise people by tiny differences in /usr/bin/ftp
	and /usr/local/v6/bin/ftp, and we have chosen to install userland
	tools into /usr/local/v6)

itojun