Date:      Sat, 10 Mar 2001 06:10:39 -0000
From:      "Jason Halbert" <jason@jason-n3xt.org>
To:        <mschwartz@crosswinds.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE:

The evidence suggests that mschwartz@crosswinds.net said:

>Has anyone had any success setting up and running Sound Blaster Live
for freebsd?
>The handbook mentions a kernel patch but I cannot find one.  If you
have,please
>let me know how you did it.
>
>Thanks, Matt

I have a SoundBlaster Live! X-Gamer working fine under FreeBSD
4.2-RELEASE.  You need to add "device pcm" to your kernel config file.
Then you need to recompile the kernel.  You can find those
instructions in the FreeBSD Handbook or follow this url:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html

After you reboot you need to:
cd /dev
./MAKEDEV snd0

If all goes well you should be able to play sound.

Cheers
---
| Jason P. Halbert                 | jason@jason-n3xt.org |
| Transmitter Maintenance Engineer | DALnet: Dielectric   |
| KDAF-TV/DT WB 33/32              | ICQ#: 86637300       |
| KC5WEG                           | (214) 252-3300       |
|     Experts know more and more about less and less.     |
|                  http://jason-n3xt.org                  |