Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 2023 18:21:32 +0200
From:      Guido Falsi <madpilot@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jose Quinteiro <freebsd@quinteiro.org>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dns/bind916 builds rust unexpectedly

On 26/09/23 17:44, Jose Quinteiro wrote:
> On 9/26/23 00:17, Guido Falsi wrote:

>>> Indeed, it's py-sphinx, requiring py-openssl at some stage, which is in
>>> turn requiring py-cryptography which needs rust.
>>>
>>> DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=pycryptography=legacy
>>>
>>> in make.conf fixed this BS for me. Beware of the dogs, you might get
>>> bitten by software that requires the new py-cryptography - I did stumble
>>> over py-certbot and py-awscli for example.
>>
>> py-cryptography was kept at an old version for a long time, for various
>> reasons, the new mandatory dependency on rust being the main one.
>>
>> But that old version does not work with OpenSSL 3, so the update of
>> OpenSSL in FreeBSD 14 imposed the update of py-cryptography.
>>

> And yet I remember a proposal that would have prevented this requirement
> on one of these lists. Separate base SSL from ports SSL. Force ports to
> use ports SSL and prune back base SSL to the bare minimum required for
> base. This would have given FreeBSD the freedom to try alternative
> things like LibreSSL. It was proposed when the "upgrade" to Openssl 3
> delayed the release of 14.

Great idea, we now only need to see the patches to base and ports
allowing this to happen. Test them, commit them...

14.0 has already been delayed long enough.

>> This is the perfect example of why I say:
>>
>> - there are external pressures we have little power on (keeping an old
>> OpenSSL indefinitely is not an option)
>> - keeping old version of software (to avoid heavy dependencies or
>> whatever) is a landmine waiting to go off
>>
>> The problem showed up now because the landmine of keeping an old version
>> of py-cryptography in the tree finally went off.
>>
>> I'm sure there are more similar landmines waiting to explode under our
>> feet in the ports tree.
>>

> The problem with bending over backwards to accommodate a project that
> treats its users with contempt is that they'll overwhelm you eventually.
> I'm willing to bet the Python community is at least an order of
> magnitude larger than the FreeBSD community.

Not sure what project you are talking about. Rust is just s programming
language.

I am neutral towards rust itself, although slightly annoyed by the time
it takes to build it (on the other hand rust is not slow at building
things, but most projects compiled in rust are big ones and would take
long with any language compiler).

That said what is the alternative?

(shipping old software or custom versions stripped of rust when we do
not have the manpower to actually maintain forks is not really an option)

> The creeping Rustification of open source projects is marginalizing
> projects that are already marginal. The brunt of the damage caused by
> these capricious changes is borne by communities that are already small.
> Those communities have no chance to win if they fight back, but if they
> work to adapt to the changes the larger projects are imposing on them
> they only accelerate their demise and make hegemony more likely.
>
> The effort would be better spent in either exorcising the dependencies
> that are causing breakage, or fork the projects involved. Yes, these are
> work too, but there's a slim hope that if enough marginal communities do
> this, the large projects will feel back pressure and become more
> accommodating. Yes, it's a  small chance.
>
> I know myself well enough in my advanced age to know I have a sometimes
> unhealthy instinct to swim against the current. Take the above with a
> grain of salt, but I suspect that if you're using FreeBSD we may share
> some of the same instinct.

I used to have that kind of instinct when I was much younger. The
instinct is partly there still, but I have learned to evaluate if I am
fighting a current I can manage, or a stronger one that will swipe me
away anyway.

You say we "bend" to rustification, but the way you suggest means ports
should bend to anti rustification, by removing features causing rust
dependencies, pinning software to old versions, and so on. This would
make the ports tree less useful for a lot of users. We would end up with
old packages. Not something we can force on all the user base.

On the other hand you suggest forking projects, but we barely have
manpower to keep the ports updated as is. Let alone actually develop the
ported software.

Anyway forking can be done outside of the ports tree. Nothing stops you
from forking, say, librsvg and keep your fork updated and at feature
parity with the rust version.

If this is your battle you can fight it outside of the ports tree.

I'd add that the "ports" tree is just that "ports" not the place for
forking or original development; we port what outside projects deliver
with as little judgment as possible, for the users to use. A ports tree
is not the proper ground for this battle.

--
Guido Falsi <madpilot@FreeBSD.org>