Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 08:38:48 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Improved searching for FreeBSD.org web site

--f2QGlHpHGjS2mn6Y

Eric,

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 07:54:11AM -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:
> Actually, I guess I'm a little bitter by this.  I spent a lot of time in=
=20
> the recent past working on a search engine replacement for FreeBSD.org, a=
nd=20
> even asked for comments and suggestions on this list=20
> (http://www.sprawler.com for beta testing).  I also repeatedly asked how =
I=20
> can get it in a "test mode" kind of set up to see how well people enjoy i=
t,=20
> with NO RESPONSES.

I could've sworn I'd sent you a 'excellent work' e-mail.

If not, excellent work.

My gripes are:

  1.  I'd like to limit the language of documents that are searched.
      I don't need to see the German or French documents, for example.

  2.  When we use this to search the mailing list archives, we're going
      to need a way to search by date range, and to order the results
      by date (and quite possibly by mailing list as well).

  3.  Links don't work properly in 'found' documents.  If a search
      returns a match to a page that's part of the Handbook (say) then
      the 'Next' and 'Prev' links that form part of the Handbook
      navigation don't work when you're looking at the page.

  4.  In the 'Results' page, it's not clear what's a link and what=20
      isn't, because of the colours used.  The only thing that looks
      like a link is the 'HIGHLIGHTED' text.  I had to scrub the mouse
      over the page titles to see that they were links as well.

I'll send you a separate e-mail to talk about getting this in to test
mode on the FreeBSD site.
--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve      http://www.freebsd.org/               (__)
FreeBSD Documentation Project    http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/    \\\'',)
                                                                      \/  \=
 ^
   --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---         .\._/=
_)

--f2QGlHpHGjS2mn6Y

--f2QGlHpHGjS2mn6Y--