Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 00:25:58 +0300
From:      Nimrod Mesika <nimrodm@bezeqint.net>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD? - License Issues

On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 07:43:59PM +0200, Narvi wrote:

> And unless there existed convinient to use collections of those (let's
> call that bin dist), lot's of people would really hate that. I consider
> the present system of being able to get a pretty unified standard base
> system a big plus. That also means being able to depend on the presence of
> such when writing programs/scripts and not wrorrying too much about that
> there might be a system on which somebody forgot to install df, dd or
> something else trivial.

This scheme makes sense only for large components which have a well-defined
interface. The MTA (i.e., sendmail, qmail, etc.) and LPR (lpr, lprng, cups)
are good examples.

Note that both these packages are not functional out-of-the-box without some
configuration (usually).

I don't think anyone is talking about applying this concept to df, dd and
the others.

-- Nimrod.