Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 1997 19:04:27 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: To UNIX or not to UNIX ;-). Was: PPP problems.

On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > I'm a little puzzled by the whole thrust of this one. The thesis seems to
> > be that FreeBSD should challenge Windows & the Mac as a desktop system for
> > all. The fate of NeXT, for example, and the market position of Sun and SGI,
> > should really concentrate minds on this issue more than it seems to be
> > doing.
> > ..
> > [ arguments refuting the practicality of such a thesis elided ]
>
> All of this would be true if I saw FreeBSD or any UNIX as trying to
> compete as a desktop OS against Apple or M$, and if I gave that
> impression at any point then I'm truly sorry because that's only about
> 180 degrees away from my actual opinion.
>
> I do NOT think that FreeBSD should try to compete as a desktop OS.
> That is entirely the wrong direction to go in and the war for the
> desktop was already lost ages ago.  It's over, UNIX got its ass
> completely kicked in the desktop OS arena, live with it.  That's my
> motto.

Maybe you guys remember that I posted the first "To UNIX or
not to UNIX" email.
He he he, I must say I've been impressed by all the follow-ups, quickly
running away from my original thesis, in my opinion ;-)

Probably I don't master english enough well to explain fully what I
meant, so I thank very much Robin Melville for his posting, with which I
agree perfectly. To summarize: Unix is power, no fancy windows.

And yes, Jordan, you and many other people gave me the impression that
FreeBSD has to compete with win95 also in the desktop arena or, anyway,
in the windoze concept of "user friendliness". I'm VERY glad I
misunderstood you all! ;-)))))))

Also, I'd like to thank all the people who made FreeBSD possible.

---
Marco Molteni
Computer Science student at the Universita' di Milano, Italy.
"You can't trust code that you did not totally create yourself.
(Especially code from companies that employ people like me)."
Ken Thompson, 1983 Turing Award Lecture.