Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:17:41 -0500
From:      MacConnect Home Office <homeoffice@macconnect.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   machine goes deaf to network connections - please help

Hey everyone,

I have a strange problem on my hands.  I have a mail server running
qmail and vpopmail, and FreeBSD 4.2.  The machine does decent volume.
Periodically the machine will just go deaf to network connections for
15 - 20 minutes at a time.  When this happens, both the link light on
the machine and the link light on the switch go amber.  I've tried to
troubleshoot this from every angle.  I've checked the settings on the
switch (they're fine).  In fact, when this problem happens, the switch
isn't reporting any errors on the port.  I've swapped ethernet cables,
put the machine on another switch, and swapped ethernet cards, all to
no avail.

There are no error entries in any of my log files that I can see.  It
seems like a hardware issue to me, but the problem occurs with both of
the machine's ethernet cards, which are in different PCI slots.

It also doesn't look like any sort of flood attack, as far as I can
tell.  I'm totally stumped.  Is there anything in FreeBSD that I should
be checking?

Thanks