Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 1995 17:15:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      faulkner@mpd.tandem.com (Boyd Faulkner)
To:        mikebo@tellabs.com (Mike Borowiec)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD v2.0.5: NFS to multi-homed server broken?

> faulkner@mpd.tandem.com (Boyd Faulkner) wrote:
> > mikebo@tellabs.com (Mike Borowiec) wrote:
> > > I have found some anomolous NFS behaviour in FreeBSD 2.0.5R.
> > >
> > > Problem 1:
> > > FreeBSD attempts to NFS mount a partition from a multi-homed server not
> > > on the same ethernet, and the return route from the server to the FreeBSD
> > > client is via another interface (with a different hostname and IP address).
> > > If done manually, the mount command can be killed. If the mount is in the
> > > /etc/fstab file, the machine hangs on startup and must be reset.
> >
> > Been there, done that.  You need the noconn option.  This way, when it comes
> > back along a different route, there is not a connnection already in force.
> > I think this is the -c option if you use mount_nfs directly.  Anyway,
> > -o noconn solved the problem for me.
> >
> This may work if the portmapper reply port number is non-standard
> ( != 111/udp ), but having tried numerous combinations of conn, noconn
> and mount_nfs -c, it appears to me that it does nothing when the
> portmapper reply is from the proper host, but from a different IP address.
>
> Does anyone else have any clue how this works in SunOS?
> - Mike
> --

Well, it worked for me in 2.0, for exactly the problem you've cited.  But
this WAS under the guise of amd, the automount daemon.  Now I am getting
NFS Portmap: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Timed out.  If I get this
resolved, I'll let you know.  amd still works though.

Boyd

 Boyd Faulkner - faulkner@isd.tandem.com - http://cactus.org/~faulkner