Date:      Wed, 10 Aug 2016 04:02:33 -0700
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>,  "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Will installing a separate graphics card restore normal graphics ?

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 11:05 PM, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 05:23:41 +0000, Manish Jain wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The X server under FreeBSD is not giving normal graphics with my new AMD
> > A6-6400K processor + Asus A68HM motherboard with onboard ATI Radeon 8470
> > graphics. A lot of the text of Gnome's Applications menu list  is
> > missing and strange streaks appear at a few places on the screen.
>
> CHeck the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log for any "EE" entries (errors).
> Also determine which driver X has actually loaded automatically.
> There are additional drivers in the ports collection which you
> might try (ati, radeon, radeonhd, if I remember correctly - long
> time no ATI card here). You can also force X to use a specific
> driver using the xorg.conf mechanism. In worst case, try VESA.
> It will not provide useful 3D results, but for desktop use, it
> should be sufficient until the problem is solved.
>
> Here is an example for an ATI Radeon 9600 (or 9200?):
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "Card0"
>         Driver          "ati"
>         VendorName      "ATI Technologies Inc"
>         BoardName       "Rage 128 Pro Ultra TF"
>         BusID           "PCI:1:5:0"
>         VideoRam        32768
> EndSection
>
> This specifies the "ati" driver (formerly part of XFree86, but
> in your case, "radeonhd" would probably be a better choice after
> you've installed the required port/package). Check the manual
> page supplied with the driver if your card is on the list of
> supported devices.
>
> Keep in mind you usually don't need a complete xorg.conf today;
> a partial file containing only those parts you wish to "hardcode"
> is sufficient.
>

> > Would it help if I were to install a separate graphics card ?
>
> If it is _possible_ to do so, then yes, as long as the following
> points are met:
>
> 1. The card mechanically fits to the mainboard.
>
> 2. The card is compatible with the mainboard and the power supply.
>
> 3. The card is supported by a driver available for FreeBSD.
>
> Additional point:
>
> 4. The driver supports all desired functionality of the card (3D).
>

> > I have no
> > idea whether it is possible to disable the onboard graphics adapter, but
> > if that is possible, I can try using a dedicated VGA card.
>
> It should be possible to do this in the BIOS/UEFI. In some cases,
> it happens automatically when a second GPU is detected.

Read booklet of your main board . It is very likely that there is
information about effect of using other graphics card in your mother board
. For example , in my ASUS mother board ( Intel type ) , it is said that ,
approximately , "When a graphics card is used , mother board graphics ports
are DISABLED ."

If you can not information about this issue , you may ask to ASUS ( see
global ASUS web site ) .

> --
> Polytropon
> Magdeburg, Germany