Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 19:19:54 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Justin Wolf <jjwolf@bleeding.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Displacement of Blame[tm]

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Justin Wolf wrote:

> > 1.  The method that the person recieves the at risk program is from
> > FreeBSD.  IE: I installed it from the ports collection.  While the
> > software it's self is not developed by FreeBSD, the distribution
> > method is.  I imagine this is something similar to Toys'R'Us removing
> > a dangerous toy from their shelves and telling the whole world about
> > it.  Toys'R'us didn't make they toy, but there are responsible for
> > making it available to the portion of the public that shops there.
>
> Everyone know's Toys 'R' Us doesn't make toys, so it can be assumed it's
> not their fault the toy was dangerous.  FBSD does, however, make
> software.  So the distinction is a little more blurred (nevermind the
> fact that FBSD is an OS and the ports are applications... this is a little
> too gray of an area for most users - I know some people who think Word is
> an OS).

I'm sure Toys'R'Us doesn't stand a chance in a court if a child chokes on
details of a toy bought from Toys'R'Us and it did not have the "Not
suitable for children under X years" sign.

Not giving out the ports advisories would be extremely bad perfomance -
and I really doubt that's what is in question.