Date:      Sun, 9 Apr 2000 16:43:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      x <fbibsd@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Cc:        fbibsd@yahoo.com
Subject:   kern/17870 mfsroot.flp boot bug: "BIOS USB Function Enable" Off = no problem, On = bug.

I've tracked the problem down to the setting of the
BIOS "USB Function Enable" setting.

When "USB Function Enable" is On the bug persists.

When the setting is changed to Off, installation proceeds normally.

The only USB devices are a four port hub, and attached to the first
port of the USB Hub is a Qtronix trackball.  Normally I'd use a USB
keyboard, but presently a PS/2 keyboard is in use.

USB Legacy Support option is also set in the BIOS.

3.4-RELEASE floppies worked well desipte the USB Function Enable On.

The USB function is just from the VIA VP2 chipset in the FIC PA2011
motherboard, and it works well under Win98 with my peripherals.

I'll probably test an install under a TMC MI5-VP4 (VIA VP4 chipset)
motherboard soon; I'll see if the crash also happens with it.