Date:      Fri, 04 Oct 1996 17:56:31 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
Subject:   Re: Wow, CVSup is cool!

Just one small point ...

> The savings in time will make up for the initial 5MB Modula-3
> download in your first or second usage.

Or get the statically linked executable.  It's around 1.1 MB, and you
don't need anything else in order to run it.  It's available from:

    ftp://freefall.freebsd.org/pub/CVSup/
    ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/
    ftp://ftp.polstra.com/pub/FreeBSD/CVSup/     (slow; avoid if possible)

in the file "cvsup-bin-13.4.tar.gz".

> (it even has a nifty X11 GUI!)

... with the _ugliest_ scrollbars in the world!  Jordan hates them.

The GUI is pretty worthless right now, as a tool for configuring
the program.  It's mostly just a very complicated pacifier. :-) I
have lots of ideas for it, but more important features keep coming
first.  FWIW, in the next release it will be easy to build the
client without the GUI, in case you don't have X11 or don't want
such a large memory image.

> (Another happy FreeBSD customer who is right now reading the Modula-3
> web page, since I've got the compiler installed :-)

It's a clunky looking language, until you get used to it.  But it sure
has been a pleasure to work with, for this application.

John