Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2002 15:29:15 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI tape drive recommendations?

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 02:52:41PM -0800, paul beard wrote:
> I have a 4.5-RELEASE system and have just taken possession of an=20
> AHA-2940 ultra scsi card: I think it's time I took a serious look=20
> at backing stuff up. Someone gave me a tape drive that turned out=20
> to be an floppy tape unit, unsupported under FreeBSD. So I'm=20
> looking to do it right this time. Any either recommended units or=20
> brands and formats?
>=20
> I don't have but a few Gb of stuff to back up, 10 at the outside=20
> for now. The most any machine will take up is 2-3 Gb. Boxes I'd=20
> like to have backed up range from Mac OS 9/X to FreeBSD and NetBSD.

In that size range you might look for a refirb DDS-2 drive (4GB native).
I'm seeing them at tapeserv.com[0] for $160.  You could probably do
better then that on e-bay.  You can get TRAVAN drives for less, but
media is generally more expensive so if you make regular backups (I run
backups every weekday night) you'll soon be paying more then you would
have with a more expensive drive.

-- Brooks

[0] I don't really know anything about them other then they seem to have
the best prices pretty consistantly on shopper.cnet.com.

--=20

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S--