Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2003 02:15:30 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely9.cicely.de>
To:        Jon Myers <myersjw@alfredstate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: general slowness and Q's..

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 04:23:31PM -0500, Jon Myers wrote:
> Note.. this does indeed only have ONE HD drive installed.  There is also a
> scsi cdrom drive, also I don't see it in the probes.  But had the same
> result when I removed that drive anyway (I installed via floppies and FTP).

As Wilko already wrote: It looks like an SCSI ID conflict.
Especially it seems that your HDD uses the same ID as your host adapter.

> Another interesting thing is de0, the DEC Ethernet de500 card MADE FOR
> ALPHA comes up with underruns, and refuses to work at 100meg, only 10 meg.

Underruns are normal for these cards, the driver tunes dynamicaly and
just tells you about it - it's not an error.
You can see something similar on other card types too, e.g. xl and dc.

About 100M - these cards can't do N-WAY autosensing.
Either the driver is guessing your tranfermode or you have to set it
explicitly.
It's hard to say what went wrong in your case without detailed info.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de