Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 15:34:33 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        scott worley <folokai@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD boot loaders?

--Md/poaVZ8hnGTzuv

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 12:24:44PM -0800, scott worley wrote:

> Just moved my main workstation from linux to FreeBSD 4.5RC2.  I was
> comfortable using GRUB on linux but I haven't found good documention
> on configuring the FreeBSD boot loaders.

You can use GRUB to boot FreeBSD too.

> There are hints of a highly configurable boot loader for freebsd in
> the docs plus I see files in /boot which have options in them.
> Where are examples on how it?

This is the third stage boot loader which is only loaded after the
first and second stage bootloaders :-) See 'man boot' for more.

> I can always install the port of grub but it doens't like netbsd
> which I'm going to load on the same machine.

Sounds like this is actually a NetBSD question then; but there are
also a bunch of other boot loaders which can load FreeBSD.  Some of
them are in the 'tools' directory on the CD releases (or in the
corresponding directory on the FTP sites) and there's also a FAQ about
this which you should read at this point.

> Do freebsd boot manager(s) require disklabels on all disks?

No, but FreeBSD does if you intend to actually mount anything on that disk ;)

Kris

--Md/poaVZ8hnGTzuv

--Md/poaVZ8hnGTzuv--