Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 1997 12:58:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commerical applications (was: Development and validation

Terry Lambert writes:
> I admit that following pattern-flow logic requires the ability to
> follow patern-flow logic.  If you've got it, you've got it; if you
> haven't, it's "tediously unreadable".  Like Clifford Algebras or
> Chebyenchev Polynomials.

Translation:

Terry: I'm a stud, you're not.

> > > OBSERVATION:	Other OS's have achieved these tasks.
> >
> > "OBSERVATION: NO OS has acheived these tasks without paying a
> > full-time staff, and none of the free OS camps has enough clued-in
> > bodies to do even half the things they'd like (and possibly even need)
> > to do.  Terry is peering into alternate universe again due to local
> > field effect of as-yet undetermined nature."
>
> 1)	Linux has ELF.
> 2)	FreeBSD does not.
> 3)	ELF is desirable
> 4)	Linux is doing something right that FreeBSD isn't.

Item 4 is *NOT* the inevitable result of 1, 2, and 3.  You've forgotten
that ELF was *necessary* in Linux in order for it to get beyond a
certain stage, and it's not (yet) necessary in FreeBSD.

Plus, the entire move to ELF was *NOT* done with the users best interest
in mind.

> 1)	Linux has a large number of willing bodies
> 2)	FreeBSD complains of a dearth of bodies.
> 3)	Allocation of bodies to the projects is based on the
> 	interaction of the social organism with the larger society.
> 4)	Linux is doing something right that FreeBSD isn't.

- Microsoft has a large number of willing bodies willing to test it's
  software for free.
- Microsoft's model must be superior...

Hmm, somewhere there is a logic fallacy.

> > > QUESTION:	Why is is that the adoption of ELF is categorized
> > > 		as premature, when it works?
> >
> > Defense lawyer:	"Objection!"
> >
> > Judge:		"Yes, Mr. Selachii?"
> >
> > Selachii:	"The actual statement was ``a premature move to elf'', the
> > 	         context of which makes it quite clear that any assumption of
> > 		 maturity, or lack thereof, refers entirely to the action of
> > 		 movement, or in this case the merging of code, rests entirely
> > 		 with the speed or pace at which this action is carried out
> > 		 and does not, in fact, make any assumptions or claims
> > 		 concerning the actual maturity level of the ELF software
> > 		 itself."
> >
> > Judge:		"What!?"
>
> Judge:		Overruled, Mr. Selachii.  During discovery, you agreed
> 		with Prosecution's posit that "ELF was a good thing".
> 		You did not attach conditions then, and I will not
> 		allow you to attach conditions now.

Right!

You want to play stupid word games:
1)	Bill Gates has a couple billion dollars
2)	Terry does not
3)	Having a couple billion dollars is a good thing since Terry
        wants to invest in nano-technology
4)	Terry is doing something wrong.

Terry:  But, but having a billion dollars isn't as important to me as
        finding good solution to problems, rather than re-using existing
        technology.

Judge:  Over-ruled, not external stipulations are allowed, you agreed
that having a couple billion dollars was a good thing and *NOTHING* can
stand in the way of you making it your only priority in life.

So Terry, I want to see you start quitting time posting to the mailing
lists and instead I want to see your name with the likes of Marc A.,
Steve Jobs, and Bill Gates in the next year.

Nate