Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 21:52:58 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Matthew Fuller <fullermd@linkfast.net>
Cc:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>, Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>, Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ViM vs. Emacs

Matthew Fuller said on Apr 20, 2000 at 10:52:31:
> On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 09:16:28PM +0530, a little birdie told me
> that Rahul Siddharthan remarked
> >
> > Suppose you want to go back only part of the way? You did some
> > complicated stuff which you want to keep, then you did some other
> > complicated stuff which you want to undo. With vim you just need to
> > keep pressing "u" till you're satisfied. With nvi you may not be able
> > to do it.
> >
> > Being used to the vim keybindings, I initially thought nvi didn't have
> > multiple undo.  Then I found it did, and started using it, but then I
> > got into the above situation a few times and didn't like it, so it's
> > "alias vi vim" now.

Actually I was wrong there -- or rather, the same thing can happen
with vim.  I think what I did was undo a change, then wanted to redo
it but changed the document in some way (because I pressed the wrong
keys), then I couldn't redo the change which I wanted to. It doesn't
happen to me with vim, but that's just because I'm used to it.

> The way it is makes sense to me.
> u undo's your last change.  Then you keep hitting '.' to keep undoing
> back as far as you want.
> Hitting 'u' again instead of '.' lets you undo the undo's, which is FAR
> more valuable then continuing to undo.

Why is it more valuable?  Both look equally valuable to me.  And to me
having separate keys/commands for undo and redo seems *much* more
intuitive and much more standard compared with other commonly used
software.  If the argument is tradition, traditional vi didn't have
multiple undo anyway (which is a pain on many proprietary Unix
systems).