Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 1996 15:17:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mark Crispin <MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        j@uriah.heep.sax.de, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, current@FreeBSD.org, scrappy@ki.net
Subject:   Re: /var/mail (was: re: Help, permission problems...)

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996 16:11:21 -0700 (MST), Terry Lambert wrote:
> Actually, I would think that if it didn't go through mail.local, then
> it isn't in a local user's mailbox: it's still in the delivery queue for
> sendmail/smail/mmdf/IMAP/etc.

Let me try one more time:
	My car is a BMW; therefore, all cars are BMWs.
	My system uses a mail delivery program called mail.local that uses
	 flock() for locking; therefore all systems use a mail delivery
	 program called mail.local that uses flock() for locking.
Do you see the fallacy yet?

> I think the only legal access to the local user's mailbox is via
> mail.local (incoming) and POP3/IMAP4/ELM/other-mail-reader (content
> browsing and manipulation).

This is presuming that mail.local is the program installed to do mail
delivery.  This may also be presuming that the version of mail.local that is
installed is one that is written to behave in a certain way, as opposed to
some other way.

I can't afford to make such presumptions.

> That basically means that the storage type is abstracted from the
> act of transport for most purposes, and *should* be abstracted from
> the act of reference.  There is a MIME library, but licensing
> restrictions make it practically useless.  8-(.

ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap.tar.Z is a free MIME library.