Date:      Wed, 12 Sep 2001 00:55:30 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <daniel.sobral@tcoip.com.br>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.4 upcoming release/timetabling/mirroring

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> It just so happens that the packages distributions is what takes most
> space. Distfiles may be 12 Gb, but it's only one thing. Packages go at
> 4, 4.5 Gb and there is a copy for each release, one for each
> architecture. Alas, there is a good chance that 5.0 will have more than
> two architectures.

it was a suggestion - i expected we would refine it.. if a few more people
comment, maybe we can come up with something sensible.

> So, from where I sit, it is much more important to keep distfiles and
> cvsup source tree than keeping, say, 4.2-release packages.
>
> Honestly, I think people's priority vary too much for what you propose.
> What I _would_ propose is that Tier-2 mirrors keep everything (CTM,
> archive, snap and misc excepted), but just the latest release and stable
>   for both platforms. I think this would impose a lesser minimum disk
> penalty, scale better, and see to most needs. Of course, whatever else a
> Tier-2 may carry is up to each one.

well, anyone can carry anything they'd like - i'm just trying to
come up with a workable system for `official' mirrors which are
at the very least a tier-2.  it needs to be looked at from both sides
too.  at the very least there should be a minimum set of freebsd
that is carried IMHO.

cheers,

-jason