Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 2002 22:59:36 -0500
From:      "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "Brandon Cruz" <brandon.cruz87@attbi.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Hello

From: "Brandon Cruz" <brandon.cruz87@attbi.com>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2002 10:43 PM
Subject: Hello

> Hello there, my name is Brandon Cruz and I was wondering how I could
> download the FreeBSD for my computer. It would be great of you to answer
> me back as soon as you could. Thanks very much.
>
> Brandon

Hi, Brandon!!

FreeBSD is pretty cool.  You might tell us all
something about your hardware if you want
more specific answers to your questions.

Also, FreeBSD is pretty "Read-Intensive," so
if you haven't been "googling" for answers and/
or reading the freebsd.org site, you may not
get helpful replies from everyone :-/

Here are some general instructions if you're
running a PC (Windoze, 386-586 class CPU) box:

1.  Visit www.freebsd.org and read the first
page you see....about 5 paragraphs down is
a mention that you need 2 blank floppies and
"these directions" (which is a link) --- and that
will give you quite a bit to go on.

OR -----

2.  If you're a little more familiar with the 'net
ftp anonymously to ftp.freebsd.org and cd to:

pub/FreeBSD/Releases/i386/4.5-RELEASE/floppies

>binary
>get kern.flp
>mfsroot.flp

then cd / and cd tools and:

>get fdimage.exe

put these in their own folder, open a DOS
prompt there and insert a floppy.  Then

c:\floppydir\fdimage kern.flp a:

and so on.....then, boot your box with
the kern.flp diskette.....

Like I said, READ lots.  Someone has already
posted some links.  If you have broadband and
a CD burner, you might go for the ISO images
instead, but I always do installs via FTP.  (doing
one tonight, BTW)

Kevin Kinsey