Date:      Mon, 09 Mar 1998 15:29:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, julian@whistle.com, wilko@yedi.iaf.nl, dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk, lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.at
Subject:   Re: SCSI Bus redundancy...

On 09-Mar-98 Terry Lambert wrote:

> This is a salient point.  The ISP's who are interested in the HA
> aspects of such servers are more interested because of interruption
> of service issues, more than they are concerned with data-vaulting.

Sure.  Clustering correctly, around a resilient and independant disk array
will accomplish both.  Each takes out of it what they want (service
non-interruption, data integrity, or both)

> I'm personally more concerned with being able to lock down the gears
> into a known-to-the-OS state, at all times.  I can deal with rolling
> incomplete transactions back seperately, if I need transactions.

Please elaborate (your metaphore brings images of broken gears in my lathe
:-)

> The disk write cache is problematic.  Most modern disks, when they lose
> DC, do *not* flush the dirty portion of their write cache.  Because the
> cache is permitted to reorder operations without regard to their OS
> dependency order, this means that a write cache that's not written
> completely potentially damages dependency ordered data that the OS
> believes has been written.

a.  A good controller will allow you to selectively tune the cache, to the
    disk's abilities.
b.  A good controller will force caches on the attacjed drives to flush
    before it ACKs the shutdown command from the O/S.

b.  A UPS that will keep the disks running long enough for that.  Any
    descent disk cabinet/shelf/bay has redundant power supplies, either 2N,
    or N+1.

> Dependency ordered data like that created by DOW or Soft Updates
> technologies.

This becomes even more important when considering clustering filesystems.
>From data resilence point of view, it is not as important.  See above.

> With disk write caching turned on, I still need a UPS to be able to
> do this reliably, since I have to (1) not add more work to the write
> cache which might potentially push out already delayed writes, and
> (2) cause the disk to flush it's write cache.

A reasonable UPS for a pc, is less than $100.00.

> High availability can also mean "comes back up quickly, and is robust
> in the face of deleterious conditions".

True.  To some it means ``I have backup on tape someplace in the drawer'',
to others it means ``I never loose an e-mail message'', while some say ``I
cannot lose service for more than N seconds''.  I think we should try and
serve them all.