Date:      Sun, 22 Sep 2013 15:15:59 +0100
From:      Frank Leonhardt <frank2@fjl.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: its freebsd easy as MAC

The Macintosh and Windows user environments hide the complexities,
allowing unskilled server administrators to do a limited number of
things in an easy way without any understanding of the underlying
technology. This is what a lot of people want.

Underneath the wizards, the Macintosh OS is very similar to FreeBSD.
While GUIs exist for FreeBSD (note the plural), it was never designed to
be simple for unskilled operators to administer and it won't be a
comfortable experience for Macintosh users looking for a simple
point-and-click subset of server options (or Windows users, come to
that). However, I can't quite bring myself to recommend either a
Macintosh or Windows as a server.

Some Linux distributions position themselves as a half-way between
Windows and UNIX.

There are some platforms with FreeBSD underneath but bundled with a GUI
(or web front end). FreeNAS is an obvious example, and I believe it
supports a web server plugin (or will do soon). Personally I've not got
on with FreeNAS as I get frustrated by trying to figure things the GUI
way and end up editing the config files directly to get what I want. But
then I've wasted a lifetime learning how, and it was never written with
me in mind.

Most UNIX servers wishing to give users simplified administration seem
to go for cPanel, which is a web-based server administration front-end
(although I don't think it supports FreeBSD 9). There are open source
alternatives such as Webmin (and Kloxo, ISPConfig, Zpanel, Ajenti -
Linux only?). So why was I so negative about your chances? You will
probably have difficulty installing them yourself if you're used to a
Macintosh and I don't want you to have a bad experience. If you can get
some local help to set it up for you, that would be different.

Regards, Frank.