Date:      Sat, 15 May 1999 10:17:40 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: desktop, was linus on BSD

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Let's review:
> >
> > Sun E250, 1x 300 Mhz UltraSPARC, a boatload of big, fast UWSCSI-3 drives.
> > cd ~/builder/engr/src; make all: 44 minutes
> >
> > Sun Ultra5, 1x 333 Mhz UltraSPARC, one 4.3 GB Ultra-IDE drive.
> > cd ~/builder/engr/src; make all: 49 minutes
> >
> > Doing that "make all," and the associated little makes, is why my
> > workstation exists.  What's even better is that we can tie them all
> > into a "cluster" using pmake; this drops the "make all" time to
> > 18 minutes at night when the office is quiet.
> >
> > I can buy a 13GB UltraIDE drive for the Ultra5, or my FreeBSD box, for
> > $180, at a place close enough I can go there during lunch.  Where's
> > the win?
>
> Where is the "-j 12"?  I see no "-j 12" here...

With pmake?  Not needed, it checks its configuration file and farms
jobs out to all available machines on the network.  We're still building
ours in SLC, when it's fully staffed we'll have a 2-cpu E250 and 18
Ultra 5s.  All 18 of the Ultra 5s will be using IDE disks and running
5 pmake jobs per machine; the E250 runs 16 pmake jobs.